Current Job Opportunities
If you are interested in possible current or future opportunities with Miller Milling, please fill out our online application form.
Director of Human Resources – Bloomington, MN
Head Miller – Oakland, California
Finance Support Specialist – Bloomington, MN
Director of Human Resources – Bloomington, MN
The Director of Human Resources is responsible for value-added and innovative initiatives that create and maintain a foundation which will enable the Company to promote the development, the involvement, and the retention of its employees to ensure customer satisfaction. In addition, this position is responsible for leadership in developing and executing human resources strategy in support of the overall business plan and strategic direction of the organization, specifically in the areas of succession planning, talent management, change management, organizational and performance management, training and development, and compensation.
- Counsel executive staff on the cultural implications of decisions.
- Translate the strategic and tactical business plans into HR strategic and operational plans.
- Identify general organizational and technical staff training needs and identify and/or develop training programs or processes to meet those needs.
- Identify and implement innovative HR techniques, policies and procedures and communicate all policies to staff.
- Develop and manage the annual Human Resources budget.
- Participate in all organizational changes to ensure company strategy, structure and culture are consistent with the changes being proposed.
- Monitor performance evaluation program, to ensure it is consistent with overall company goals.
Salary and Benefit Management:
- Create and manage compensation programs to ensure competitiveness within industry and regions of the business.
- Manage employee benefit plans in accordance with all applicable State and Federal laws.
- Research, evaluate, recommend, and implement new and/or modified benefit plans as necessary to maximize company cost savings and employee satisfaction.
- Develop, maintain and manage the company’s workers’ compensation program to include claims investigations, settlements and litigation.
- Consult with external legal counsel on personnel matters where legal guidance is desired or necessitated.
- Provide support and counseling to managers and employees on job related problems and develop ongoing strategies to address and resolve these issues.
- Assist management with definition of roles and responsibilities within departments and cross functionally.
- Drive fair and consistent application of Company policy and procedures.
- Create and manage talent management processes including talent upgrading, succession planning, targeted development, etc.
- Maintain Human Resource Information System records to inform ongoing operational decisions.
- Oversee staffing efforts for critical MMC roles.
- Serve as cultural champion upholding and exemplifying our Corporate Code of Conduct and Employee Action Guidelines.
- Champion performance management programs including the annual review process, goal setting and employee engagement initiatives.
- Provide leadership in the interpretation and application of collective bargaining agreements and for compliance with all state and federal laws, regulations and policies.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, business related degree or comparable experience
- 10+ years of progressively responsible Human Resources management experience supporting multi-state and multi-site locations.
- Experience in the administration of a collective bargaining agreement including grievance investigation, responses and participation in contract negotiations desirable.
- Must possess the professional ability to act as a catalyst for change through positive energy. Change-ready with an “eye on the horizon” to anticipate opportunities and challenges, and to adapt and flex as necessary.
- Strong strategic thinking, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to influence across all directions of the organization without direct line authority
- Excellent vendor management and negotiation skills
- Thorough understanding of human resources principles and practices, including employment law and EEO compliance.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and work appropriately with highly sensitive information.
- Ability to travel 20%
- Requires a behavioral work style that is approachable, collaborative, hands-on and shows attention to detail.
General Working Conditions:
This position may entail sitting or standing for long periods of time. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to communicate effectively with others, sit, stand, walk and use hands to handle keyboard, telephone, paper, files and other equipment and objects. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to review detailed documents and read computer screens. The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The work environment requires appropriate interaction with others. The noise level in the work environment is moderate. Occasional travel to different locations will be required. The duties of this position may change from time to time.
Miller Milling Company reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of MMC or its managers. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Head Miller, EHS – Oakland, CA
Responsible for all facets of milling operations for the designated facility and provide oversight of Plant Maintenance and possibly other departments depending upon the location. The Head Miller will monitor and influence daily plant operations and customer satisfaction. Insure all operating decisions improve the profitability, quality, personnel safety and food safety of the Company.
- Ensure that daily productions meet all product, Quality and Food Safety standards and production schedules.
- Ensure efficient milling operations. Review mill ops, stream analysis, and other reports analyzing milling operation to determine performance. Assure that changeovers are made efficiently with minimum loss of extraction and capacity.
- Evaluate roll feed and sifter streams on a regular and routine basis to ensure effective operations. Periodically testing, sift break scalps for carryover and checking balance between sifter boxes.
- Examine daily the operation of the cleaning house equipment for proper operation. Especially check for millable wheat lost to screenings.
- Monitor and Influence Grain Quality and low cost wheat mix makeups
- Work closely with the mill crew explaining changes and why they were made. Show the crew how the mill is to be set and explain why.
- Determine the correct settings for all roller mills.
- Run cumulative ash curves as requested. Obtain samples so appropriate analysis and information on the data sheet can be completed.
- Responsible for ensuring that the proper streams are being selected per the most recent stream analysis. Post the ash curve. Know which streams are directed to clear and know the patent and clear percentages.
- Ensure inventories are maintained such as sifter supplies, filter socks, spare rolls.
- Responsible for implementation & upkeep of various regulatory programs – federal, state & local.
- Dealing directly with Outside Contractors during onsite visits.
- Help Plant Manager with future projects that need identified.
- Insure subordinates are managed, led, evaluated and reviewed in a manner that is consistent and maintain relationships with respect.
- Provide management oversight of the mill when the plant manager is not onsite.
- Responsible for a yearly budget in their Department along with other expense departments that are indirectly related.
- Working closely with Maintenance Manager on Mill maintenance related areas.
- Implement company policies and procedures & insure those policies and procedures are followed
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Milling Science, or related field or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 2 year experience as head miller or equivalent related milling experience
- Willing and able to be on call at all hours for plant issues
- Demonstrates effective Communication Skills – written and verbal
- Willing and able to work with wheat products i.e. no wheat /gluten sensitivity
- Willing and able to work in a team environment for the success of the plant
Finance Support Specialist – Bloomington, MN
The Finance Support Specialist is responsible for providing excellent service to customers and office staff by managing an efficient, well-organized front desk, answering the main phone line, greeting vendors and visitors, maintaining office systems, ordering office supplies, and assisting the Accounting Department and other departments with various duties.
- Order office supplies, mailroom supplies, office furniture, beverages and other kitchen supplies as needed, working with competitive companies to ensure that we receive the lowest prices.
- Maintain office machinery (copiers, printers, kitchen appliances, etc.), arranging for prompt repair / maintenance when one of the office systems is not functioning properly.
- Monitor the postage meter, ensuring that the machine has adequate funds and that any maintenance issues are attended to in a timely manner.
- Cater meals for special meetings held at the office, company events, and all-office lunches.
- Manage kitchen cleaning schedule, alerting the appropriate departments when it is their week to clean.
- Maintain a neat, well-organized, visually appealing reception area.
- Keep the mailroom and office supply closets neat and organized.
- Check copy machines nightly to ensure the paper reservoirs are filled.
- Promptly answer all incoming calls through the main phone line in a professional, friendly, helpful manner, transferring calls to the appropriate people and departments without delay.
- Receive all vendors and office visitors in a cheerful, friendly, welcoming manner.
- Provide daily entry of collections and deposits into the accounting system.
- Provide assistance with miscellaneous filing and other accounting projects.
- Provide backup accounting support as needed.
- Arrange courier services for local shipments to and from the corporate office.
- Process all overnight shipments and ensure adequate supplies.
- Provide administrative and clerical support to all headquarter employees.
- Perform other duties and assist with other company department projects, as requested.
- High school diploma or GED; some college coursework preferred.
- A minimum of 1 year customer service or office reception experience.
- Excellent customer service skills, demonstrating a positive attitude and a willingness to help others.
- A pleasant, upbeat phone manner – friendly, helpful, courteous, etc.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office systems (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Excellent communication skills and great follow through
- Ability to work independently
- Basic mathematical knowledge – the ability to add, subtract, divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.